Back to all reports

Lorries driving on grass verge damaging verge and water pipes

Reported via desktop in the Drains/Ditches Blocked category anonymously at 11:38, Wednesday 4 August 2021

Sent to Rutland County Council less than a minute later

This has been a long standing problem of lorries trying to get down Cross Lane, and unable to get through due to parked cars. Local residents do move their cars each Wednesday to enable the refuse lorry to access the road, but 'unscheduled' lorries still try to get through. As a result the Highways owned grass verge is ruined, but more importantly, the water pipes from the Manor House become crushed, preventing water flowing from the house, and causing internal damage to this historic property. Yesterday's incident was caused by a foreign lorry, with an exceedingly abusive driver, who refused to reverse, and deliberately continued over the verge. He was trying to EXIT Preston having travelled down Main street. What is apparent from talking to local residents, is that SatNav devices seem to 'route' vehicles down Cross lane rather than Main st or Ridlington Road. Hence ONE suggestion is whether the council can 'remove' of 'alter' the status of Cross lane on the roads database, so it isn't available for planning routes. This woudl seem a very low cost solution to an ongoing problem I think the last RCC contact on this issue was with Neil Tomlinson back in 2017

RSS feed of updates to this problem Receive email when updates are left on this problem.


  • Thank you for your report. We will investigate this and respond to you within 10 working days. Updates will be posted on IMPORTANT: To report anything dangerous, please call us on: 01572 722577

    Posted by Rutland County Council at 11:55, Wednesday 11 August 2021

Provide an update

Your information will only be used in accordance with our privacy policy

Next: Tell us about you

or No personal details will be stored, and you will not receive updates about this report.

Your update

Tell us about you

Do you have a Rutland County Council FixMyStreet password?